Friday, March 26, 2010

it is for freedom that Christ has set us free

Joy. Bliss. Freedom.

God is incredible. Tonight has reminded of many things I have known before, but not as clearly perceived. This evening me and a few hundred of my friends, really my family, we celebrated to no end the greatness of the gospel. A hundred new Young Life volunteers were welcomed into the family tonight as we all joined together to sing, dance, and laugh as a response to this: It is for freedom that Christ has set us free (Gal 5:1).

What I have now observed more plainly than ever is the expression of this freedom. Once unimpeded, several emotions sweep over your self. First, in a momentary glimpse of the truth that is the gospel, there is absolutely no room for selfishness or depravity in one's mind or heart. Sin has loses its power over you in that moment of victory. Indeed, the opposite of sin envelopes you: love. While experiencing this freedom your greatest desire is to love those around you. And that in and of itself elicits more emotions of joy.

I've read so many times Romans 6:18, which tells me I'm free from sin, but I have failed to believe it as I myself fail over and over again. Yet in this instant of pure joy, I see it, and like Thomas, I can finally accept this to be truth.

And in these moments of understanding I, for once, am completely myself, without a worry in the world about how I appear and how I am perceived.

So tonight I am thanking God for allowing my heart to be free enough to tirelessly celebrate his victory over death and I praise him for the new life that is infused into the core of my being.

No comments: